Want TSN’s Tradecentre iPhone/iPad App in the US? You Can!
The FAN 590 Too!
Update 3/4/13 at 7:58 am
Happy Trade Deadline Eve!
I’ve not updated my blog in quite a bit – but TSN has unfortunately changed their app this year. Not really sure if we’ll receive those push notifications. I guess time will tell.
At least you can still download it using the methods outlined in this post.
Update 2/27/12 at 8:31 am
Thanks to those coming in again through various search engines and Hockey message boards!
I can confirm that this is still working, as many of you all have on HFBoards. As far as the stream, I can’t seem to get it to work no matter what I try just yet. Still digging.
Update 2/28/11 at 11:00 am
Thanks to those coming in! I’ve read about some of your issues with the app, and have another solution you can also try in this post!
Sometimes, being outside of Hockey’s Hotbed (also known as Canada), can be sort of a bad experience for those of us in the US. This experience is only compounded further when our brothers and sisters up in Canada get all sorts of cool applications to follow the NHL’s Trade Deadline (which let’s face facts – is a Hockey HOLIDAY for most), while those of us here rely on our slower forms of notification.
Unfortunately, the TSN Tradecenter application is only available in Canada – likely for distribution limits. Last year, I was able to download the Tradecentre app on my Jailbroken iPhone – but this year I was determined to find a way to download the application without having to modify my phone, and I also wanted it on my iPad as well.
The solution was quite simple actually; a CANADIAN iTunes account.
When you create an iTunes (I created it via iTunes on my PC) account, you’re asked to select your current country – which for me normally would be the good ole’ US of A. I created a secondary iTunes account and I selected Canada as my home country. You can too, just follow these steps:
- Make sure you are signed out of your account on iTunes.
- Go to the bottom of iTunes and choose “change country” from the “Manage” tab.
- Choose the Canadian flag.
- Click Sign In and Choose “Create a New Account”
- Agree to terms and conditions.
- Enter Email Address, password and other security questions. You’ll need to verify your account by clicking a link you are emailed so use a valid email)
- Select “none” from payment method. (Edit: varied success here, not sure why)
- For Billing Address, you must choose a correct postal code that matches with the province of that country (I picked Oakville, Ontario here). Go on Google to search for an address with the appropriate postal code (I made up a very inconceivable address for this).
- After email verification, you are done. Log into the iTunes app store from your iPhone or iPad and download the TSN Tradecenter app.
There is however, ONE stipulation for downloading apps of this nature, they have to be FREE. If you want to purchase an app or music from the Canadian iTunes store – you’d need to use a gift card.
Here are the application’s details per TSN’s website:
TSN TradeCentre is TSN’s first special-event iPhone and iPad app, created to keep you in the loop about every move made on and before NHL Trade Deadline Day, Monday, February 28. You’re plugged into the TSN TradeCentre wherever you go:
– The ‘Trades’ section lists all the trades chronologically, with new ones added the second we know about them
– Each trade is also sent out via optional ‘push’ notifications, so you’ll know about each trade even if you’re doing something else on your device
– Starting at 8am ET (5am PT) you can watch TSN’s live HDTV coverage of TradeCentre right on your device.
– For complete details and analysis, checkout the ‘News’ tab. Every trade tells a story, and we’ve got them all, along with blogs and columns from TSN’s award-winning team of hockey journalists
– NEW for iPad: Follow our reporters’ Tweets in the Twitter Tracker
– NEW for iPad: Video reports from our reporters and columnists, plus reaction from coaches and players
Now anyone with an iPhone or iPad (or even iPod Touch) can follow TSN’s Trade coverage all day long, anywhere they have Cellular and/or WiFi.
BONUS! Get the FAN 590 too!
So, maybe you want a Canada only app to listen to Hockey Talk beyond the trade deadline? Well – as they say, there is an app for that. You can also download the Rogers Radio app so you can stream Toronto’s FAN 590 sports talk show.
Now you can hear THE FAN 590 and your choice of Canada’s most popular radio stations – anywhere, anytime!
If you’re a Rogers Wireless or Fido iPhone customer, you can listen to THE FAN 590 and also discover new stations with the Rogers Radio iPhone App.
Choose from over 50 station streams featuring rock, country, top 40, news/talk, sports and multi-lingual formats. Listen to top-rated stations across the country, including 680News, KiSS FM, 98.1 CHFI, and SONiC 102.9.
This app gives you AAC+ audio quality, and allows you to search by station name or by the city – or just search for the station that’s closest to you. It also gives you song and artist info, and even tells you how to contact the stations.